2009 Chinese Auto Sales – Shanghai Volkswagen Leads, GM Trails Right Behind
China Association of Automobile Manufacturers (CAAM) has announced the list of top 10 auto manufacturers in China during 2009. Shanghai Volkswagen Automotive Co. bags top honors with a total of 708,100 units sold in China during 2009. FAW-VW Automobile Co. Ltd. came in second, with 669,200 units just edging out Shanghai General Motors Co. Ltd. by a thousand units. Joint ventures from Hyundai, Nissan, Honda and Toyota, along with the BYD Co. Ltd., Chery Automobile Co. Ltd., and Geely Holding Group Co. Ltd. rounded off the top 10. Volkswagen managed to sell over 1.4 million units through its two joint ventures in China, along with a number of other imported VW’s.
The combined sales volume of the top ten auto makers amounted to 4.88 million units, a number which accounted for nearly 65% of the total sedan sales in the country. In a separate report from CAAM, it was also announced that the BYD F3, with 291,000 units sold, was the best-selling car model last year.
- Shanghai Volkswagen Automotive Co: 708,100 units
- FAW-VW Automobile Co Ltd: 669,200 units
- Shanghai General Motors Co. Ltd: 668,200 units
- Beijing Hyundai Motor Co: 521,000 units
- Dongfeng Nissan Ltd: 459,300 units
- BYD Co Ltd: 448,400 units
- Chery Automobile Co Ltd: 409,300 units
- Guangqi Honda Automobile Company Co Ltd: 337,200 units
- Tianjin FAW Toyota Motor Co Ltd: 334,700 units
- Geely Holding Group Co Ltd: 329,100 units
via – TruthAboutCars